Saturday, October 15, 2011

Super awesome cable

One of my most beloved knitting books is a stitch dictionary.  It has photos and instructions for 450 different knitting patterns-- knit and purl, rib, cables, and edgings.  Every time I flip through its pages I get inspired with a dozen new ideas for sweater designs.

I used to think of cables as just two simple lines twisting over each other, but my stitch dictionary opened my eyes to an enormous world of possibilities.  I immediately fell in love with the cable in this burgundy sweater and was excited to use it in a sweater.



This sweater is the first one I made using this book as inspiration, and it's still one of my favorites.  I used a smooth, simple yarn in burgundy so none of the detail of this amazing cable would be lost.  



It's a long turtleneck with a ribbed neck and waist.  The twisting cable is over a background of reverse stockinette, which really makes the cables pop, with a garter stitch belly for extra stretch.  

 

I love this sweater on my Chiweenie model, but I think it would look great on a longer dog as well, like a small dachshund.


No comments:

Post a Comment