Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Why and how

It's an understatement to say that I like knitting, or even that I love it.  If I could knit all day every day, I would.   When I was a lot younger, I wanted to be a fashion designer.  I sewed clothes for my Barbies and filled a sketchbook with my drawings of clothing,  but I  eventually put that goal aside because I was afraid that I would run out of ideas some day.  I never lost interest in my art, though, and I eventually displayed and sold some of my pieces while I was living in Japan.  With my husband's encouragement, I now design and knit custom-made dog sweaters, combining two of my great interests.

This is how I do it; I visit a client's house to discuss what kind of sweater they'd like for their dog, I take the dog's measurements for a perfect fit, and I come up with a design.  If necessary, I visit again for more fittings or to refine my design.

There are a lot of things to consider in a dog sweater design.  Of course there are obvious features such as color or size, but I also think about cables, stripes, textures, edgings, harness or leash openings, sleeves or sleeveless, a short belly section for boys, longer torsos for long doggies, etc.  It is also important to combine the right yarn with the design; a smooth yarn to show off a complex design, fuzzy mohair to enjoy a luxurious halo effect, heathered yarn for added depth, machine-washable yarn for easy care, or luxury yarn to pamper your special friend.

I am thoroughly enjoying designing sweaters for dogs.  I love the creativity it gives me as well as the challenge of making an idea into a functional yet lovely knitted item.

No comments:

Post a Comment