Sunday, January 15, 2012

I spin, too.


Spinning yarn is my only other big hobby that takes me away from my knitting.  I started with a drop spindle almost 4 years ago and fiddled around with it for a while.  After trying a spinning wheel, I knew that if I were to become a serious spinner, it would be with a wheel.  I borrowed and rented wheels until I found the one I loved, and I received it for Christmas in 2010.


This sweater was my first big spinning wheel project.  I spun the yarn specifically for it, and considering that it was only the second or third fiber I had ever spun, and I was trying to do it quickly with a rented wheel, it came out nicely.  The fiber itself came from Meridian Jacobs farm near Vacaville.  I like going there for their Shearing Day in the fall or Meet the Lambs in the spring.



This is the Tappan Zee cardigan from knitty.com.  http://knitty.com/ISSUEss10/KSPATTtappanzee.php
I only changed a few things from the way the pattern was written.  I wanted it to button all the way down, so I added buttonholes and buttons.  I also wanted longer sleeves; to be warmer, but also to use up more of my precious handspun. It fit nicely when I was pregnant, and when my baby doesn't spit up every five minutes, I'll start wearing it again.

It would be fun to do a project like this for a customer someday; all the way from the fiber to the finished product.


No comments:

Post a Comment